Friday, December 18, 2009

Meeting Candy

It was early morning, 4 a.m., the first time I met Candy. I had been on the job for about a year. Not having any idea what I was walking into, I slid Candy's curtain to the side to enter her treatment room. What I walked into was better than a shot of espresso.

Candy was running her fingers through her nurse's long blond hair.

"Honey, what I could do with your hair if you let me," she was saying to Mo, who was being an awfully good sport about it. I'm not sure I could let some stranger caress my scalp and hair in this manner.

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks, Candy," Mo answered, "that's what you told me last time, too."

So, Mo already knew Candy. I later learned that everyone who works in our ER knew Candy.

Candy, as it turns out, is a transgender male-to-female. These terms can be confusing, but transgender simply means that a person is living cross-gendered without sexual reassignment surgery.

Candy was known for handing out brutally honest fashion advice to our staff during her treatment time. I was only too happy to watch her interaction with Mo play out.

"Yes, honey," Candy continued as she held tight to Mo's hair, "you need to cut it a little shorter, get some highlights, and have it frame your face better."

"Um, okay, thanks Candy. I'll get right on that," Mo answered, still the good sport. "You do remember, though, that it's four in the morning, right? I'm sure not getting gussied up for an overnight shift."

"Ugghhh," Candy continued, ignoring Mo's defense, "and your split ends! Girlfriend, how could you? Go get me some scissors and I'll take care of this mess right now."

Mo extracted herself and her hair from Candy's grip. And then noticed me standing by the entrance.

"Oh, Candy, look who we have here! One of our doctors is waiting to see you." I do believe that Mo had just thrown me under the bus!

I stepped forward with my hand extended and introduced myself to Candy, feeling her eyes bore into my every fiber.

"Well, well, well," she said thoughtfully, "what do we have here?"

Nope. I'm first. Let me describe Candy to you. First, her outfit. She was in a white with black polka-dot mini-skirt with white tights, humongous red heels capping the ends of her lower extremities. Her shirt was sheer, white and black zebra-striped, hanging loosely over her skirt. She had a five o'clock shadow, a prominent Adam's apple, and thin scraggly hair that hung limply to her shoulders. Her makeup was very loud, despite the facial contusions and abrasions from the assault that brought her to us this night. She was sitting upright comfortably in her cot, one leg bent under her thin frame.

Okay, now your turn, Candy.

"Hair, good. Body, good. Nice eyes. Nice lips. Wow, look at those cheekbones!" Yes, I was really liking this Candy character, but made a mental note to myself that I should probably check her vision on this visit. Mo, who I thought was leaving the room, decided to hover to see what advice I would be receiving. She was leaning against the wall, arms crossed, smirking at me, thoroughly enjoying me being in the hot seat. She must have known it was going to get ugly soon.

"Wait. Oh yes," Candy exclaimed, pointing at my mouth, "look at that tooth!"

Shoot. I can't believe she narrowed in on my tooth. I think I have pretty nice teeth, barring one slightly off-colored one on my right upper front. And even this tooth isn't so bad. I had gotten knocked in the mouth playing basketball a few years ago, resulting in this tooth turning slightly off-white. My dentist had thought it would die and I would ultimately need to get it pulled, posted, and replaced. However, the darn thing didn't die off completely, and now I was stuck with a half-living tooth. Kind of like tooth purgatory.

Eventually, I knew I would have to get the tooth addressed, but it didn't bother me, and you had to look really hard to see it. At least I thought so. Thanks, Candy, for looking hard.

"Yeah, sugar," Candy continued, Mo now in a full-bloom smile, "get that thing taken care of, would you? Jesus H. Christ! Why would you walk around looking like that?"

How can you not smile? I started laughing, but Candy was just getting warmed up.

"Honey, can you spell manicure? Because you need one bad. Look at those bitten-up nails!"

I looked down at my hands, appreciating my nails, actually thinking that they looked pretty good to me. Now, though, I was feeling the need to apologize. "I'm sorry, Candy, I can't help it."

"Well, help it. You're a doctor, right? There's no reason you shouldn't be getting yourself some manicures (she said it like "man-neeeee-cures") and pedicures." She shuddered and continued. "I can only imagine what your feet look like!"

"Do you want to see them, Candy?" I asked, now enjoying this immensely. I had on hospital clogs, it would be easy to accommodate her.

"Ugghhh," she said, "find somebody else with a foot fetish. That ain't me, honey."

Ouch! She was tough. Clinton and Stacey from "What Not To Wear" held nothing on Candy.

Well, I'm happy to say that Candy turned out alright that night. Just some bumps and bruises. Interestingly, she had been working a corner in one of our less-desirable neighborhoods and had been picked up by four college boys for her services (this was her version). Less than a mile later, when they found out her true gender, they assaulted her and threw her out of their barely stopped car.

I'd like to think it wasn't her gender that bothered them as much as her fashion critiques. Can you even imagine? "Honey," she'd start out as she bent to get into the car, "what's up with all those pimples on your face? And you," she'd continue, looking at another one, "what's up with that greasy haircut you're sporting?" Yep, out the door she went.

I've seen Candy in the ER a few more times since then and always enjoy her wisdom and our conversations. Most recently, I was out to a dinner party at a local restaurant that was having a simultaneous gathering of transgender/transsexual localites. As my party followed the waitress to our table, we passed the gathering and there was Candy, sitting at a table with three other members, laughing and smiling and being quite animated.

Her hair is still scraggly. My tooth still isn't fixed.

You go, Candy!

Thanks for reading, as always, and have a great weekend. Next post will be Monday, December 21.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I got to the second paragraph, I had a feeling that Candy wasn't chromosomally female. Most of us would wait to talk behind your back ;) Transwomen tend to be more, shall we say, upfront.

She sounds like a nice change from the usual belligerent assholes who frequent ERs at that time of night.

Sarah said...

What a great story, it's nice to see that Candy is treated like a person. It's a wonderful thing, and something certain professionals struggle with.

Sue Jones said...

Love your Blog ..

Chrysalis said...

On a personal note, you can get that tooth fixed easily now. No local needed. If you can find a dentist in your area that does Lumineers, Veneers or even a composite covering, you'd be perfect in no time, for Candy's next visit. That's something that is easily fixed.

Love your blog btw.

mommy-medic said...

Oh honey that is Faaaaaaaabulousssssss!!!!

I had a similar expreience, though my patient was less conscious. I'm sure (s)he would have some advice to give too though!

http://mommy-medic.blogspot.com/2008/04/memory-lane.html

Sharon said...

Lord how that takes me back. In 1986 or so as a hospice volunteer I had a client named Rene. She was an amazing and funny person.
I had to read her chart to be sure she was a transgender, because she was all woman to me.
We spent hours on the phone dishing celebrities and politicians. It was a long time ago. I still think of her and miss her.
What a treasure she was. Treasure Candy too.

Smalltown RN said...

That story is priceless. In our profession we really are fortunate to meet and interact with all walks of life. There will always be patients that we will remember for one reason or another.

Your Candy is a character...and adds some spice to life...and Candy seems to me to be the kind of person that finds the bright side of things...and just enjoys life for what it is.

Thanks for sharing your story....oh and your comment on purgatory....I haven't heard that word since I graduated from catholic high school....they loved that word.....

SeaSpray said...

"I'm not sure I could let some stranger caress my scalp and hair in this manner."

Oh GOSH ..I COULD! I've loved having my hair played with since I was little!!

No way would she get near me with scissors though!

I was briefly trained by a transgendered person when we went to a new system. Lovely person. It took me a while to figure it out ..but I wasn't familiar with that stuff and just knew that even though dressed really well ..perfect hair, makeup and nails and shoes ..it was all off in some way.

Dressed to the nines,nothing like candy in personality, but most professional and yes..very large heels and very tall.

Great post!

Story .. as I was reading this post..i was thinking that you have been writing about some interesting patients and they would all be great characters for a book if you could tie a story together... which I have no doubt you could do just that. :)

I'd buy it! :)

Maha said...

Great story as always! I had a similar conversation with a patient except she was a little old lady with a killer sense of style who insisted that I must paint my ghastly nails. She was not impressed that I was proud of the fact that they were clean.

I do feel saddened by how she ended up in your ER though.

Unknown said...

Hi, I love your blog. You are a very good writer.

About that tooth - I have a recommendation. Before making an appointment with a dentist you might want to consider first trying the Crest white strips with advanced seal. I have a non-vital central incisor that was very dark. I asked my dentist if it would respond to over-the-counter tooth whiteners and he said no because the stain was on the inside. I could not afford the bonding or whatever it was he wanted to do so I thought what the heck, I'll try the white strips just to see. I cut off little pieces to fit just the one front tooth. Left them on all night. Took it off in the morning. Get this - in just 4 days that non-vital tooth was just as white as the rest of my teeth. No, I take that back. It was actually whiter because the dentin inside had sclerosed and thickened after the playground accident that darkened it in the first place. So its opacity made it appear whiter. It bleached up really nice and I am so glad I tried the white strips. Saved me a ton of money.

Good luck to you and thanks for an awesome blog.

Anonymous said...

Aloha i'm new here, I came upon this chat board I have found It incredibly useful and it's helped me out alot. I hope to give something back and guide other users like it has helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See Ya Later.

Anonymous said...

Hey im new to this. I came accross this board I find It exceedingly accommodating & it has helped me tons. I hope to give something back & guide other users like its helped me.

Thanks, See You Around

Anonymous said...

What's Happening i am new on here, I hit upon this board I find It very accommodating & it has helped me a lot. I hope to give something back & help other people like its helped me.

Thanks a load, See Ya Later.

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm fresh to this, I stumbled upon this message board I find It quite accommodating & its helped me alot. I should be able to contribute & help other users like its helped me.

Thanks a load, Catch You About.