Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Blogging & Me

Ladies and gentlemen, today's regularly scheduled post on StorytellERdoc has been interrupted due to an emergency. Paramedics are currently performing CPR and applying defibrillator pads to my chest. Why, you might ask? Quite simply, I am shocked (yes, pun intended) at the recent events that have transpired with my blog.

It all started with a wonderful email I received on January 13 of this year.

"I have been reading your blog since early December and I have to say thank you for the most amazing writing. I shared your "Tupperware" piece with colleagues here and shared a link via Twitter; it got passed on so many times that it came back to me via people I don't know."

Now, how amazing is that? In and of itself, that was enough reward for me. But, kind Carrie continued.

"Congratulations on being nominated for awards on MedGadget.com --The 2009 Medical Weblog Awards Nominees. I have no affiliation with that blog or any of the blogs listed. I just happened to notice you made the cut and I was happy you did. Looking forward to future stories."

Say what? I was shocked. Pure mouth-gaping, breath-holding, sphincter-tightening shock. After reading this email a second time, though, I thought I might be getting pranked by one of my smart-ass friends. Why do I let those types into my life?

So, I clicked on the forwarding link and sure enough, there was my blog name, listed under two categories--"Best New Medical Weblog (est. in 2009)" and "Best Literary Medical Weblog."

I was even more shocked. And humbled. And honestly, happy beyond belief. I don't Twitter and I don't Facebook. And, although I enjoyed reading some excellent blogs here and there, I surely didn't know the first thing about blogging and computers in general.

Enter my creative writing group. An amazing group filled with the most impressive types of personalities. In fact, you will intimately meet all of these people in a future post (they should be very afraid!). Five of us, meeting weekly, submitting our works to be critiqued, dissected, reworked, and complimented amongst one another. Complete trust. It was this group that convinced me, after enough sharing of my silly stories, to write them in a format that might be shared with others. What? And put down my fiction novel that was two-thirds done? Are you crazy? Am I?

"Just do it," they said, led by Christine, our gifted and fearless leader. And so I did. Christine and I met for coffee, exchanging ideas, pictures, colors, and concepts and, before I knew it, she had completed my blog site. Thanks, Christine, for the awesome banner and site! And thanks to my wife, who helped me clear the rubble to come up with such a cool name.

Now, I just needed to put words to paper. How should I start? I worried myself too much because the minute I started writing, the stories streamlined from my fingertips to keys to computer screen. I LOVED writing my posts. But would others take to my words? And between work, family, my regularly scheduled life, and my stalled novel, when would I have time to write three stories a week? Would the sacrifice be worth it? In mid-November, 2009, I took the chance with my first post.

And quite simply, yes, it has been worth it. Ten-fold. No, a hundred-fold. Make that infinite-fold. Every early morning and late night, every struggle to capture that escaping thought and word, every rewrite--hell yeah, totally worth it.

Today, I learned that I have been named a finalist in the Medgadget Weblog Awards in both categories! Again, flabbergasted. And appreciative. I'm so naive that I didn't even know they narrowed the nominees down to six finalists. After showing my kids my name on the finalist list, they were beyond excited! At the prospect of winning an iTouch or to see my name on the list, though, I don't really know. But regardless, their smiling faces were my trophy. Thank you to the judges and all of you involved in my nominations for this very cool recognition.

I don't want to get mushy here, but I sincerely wish to thank you--my intelligent, faithful, funny, and cool reader. To be brutally honest, I have already felt more accolades than I ever expected, simply from your acceptance of me and my blog. I wish I could list and thank each of you personally.

Finally, I must mention the friendships. From the earliest comments on my first post, I am amazed at the number of incredible people I have met simply from commenting, from following blogs, and from privately emailing. Some of your personal stories are incredible, but all of your stories are memorable. And real. Thanks for the friendship and for allowing me a glimpse into your life and respecting your glimpse into mine.

I had hoped for my blog to be compassionate, humorous, heartfelt, and above all else, show the beautiful resilience and positive perspective of the human spirit in crisis. I hope I am succeeding.

Thank you, my friends...

As always, thanks for reading. If you get the chance, head over to Medgadget and vote. Thanks for your support. The next "regularly" scheduled post will be Friday, January 29. See you then. And to my little big girl, Gracie, Happy 9th Birthday! ILY

31 comments:

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

That's a well-deserved recognition. Congratulations, and best wishes!

The 50 Best Health Blogs

WrightStuff said...

I diagnose a touch of the 'modesty' here Dr Story. You are a brilliant writer. Look how many followers you've got in such a short space of time... it's because you captivate us and draw us in, you make reading about spittle, phlegm and other bodily unmentionables engaging and frankly, often, quite hilarious!
I prescribe you an awards ceremony and a write up in The Lancet (other medical journals are available).

I'm sure these will be just the first of many awards... who knows what will be next... "Best blog post about poo in pants", "Best what goes on behind the clinical curtain blogger"

I'll shut up now... getting silly!

SteveC said...

Doc, you deserve the nomination! You write great stuff!

Bask in the glory. If you win, maybe your writer's group will dump a cooler of Gatorade over your head!

Steve

coulrophobic agnostic said...

well-deserved. congratulations.

Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing the story behind the blog!

If you ever need an intro to Twitter I'd be happy to give you a tour and 'introduce' you to some great medical Twitter users.

Heh heh...'Kind Carrie'. Now who's smiling?

DownDoggin in MN said...

Congratulations! I look forward to reading your posts each week. They always put a smile on my face and brighten my day. Thank You!

Katie Axelson said...

“I thought I might be getting pranked by one of my smart-ass friends. Why do I let those types into my life?” I wonder the same thing all too often… See the blog. :-)

Congratulations on your nominations! A title well-earned.

<>< Katie
PS. Go work on that novel because we’re all anxious to read the finished product! :-)

Carolynn Anctil said...

Congratulations! It's amazing how things will unfold when we just relax and do what comes naturally. The accolades & potential award are wonderful validation for using your voice.

BTW, I nearly spit my coffee out when you made reference to being spoofed by your friends. Too true! (Give me a little warning next time, so I can swallow first, K?)

jimbo26 said...

( (Sir) Cliff Richard , some years ago ) : Congratulations and celebrations ...............

Anonymous said...

YAY! :)

Come on -- writing group knows -- who is his own biggest fan!?

(((GIGGLE)))

AtYourCervix said...

Congrats!!!

terri c said...

Most excellent!! Congratulations and best wishes! Also thanks for the comments on my blog, and hope you have a wonderful family celebration of your daughter's birthday. Does she know you wished her a happy one on your blog? Tell her your fans are all waving to her...

Lynn said...

Congratulations!!! I love your blog. Now...off to vote.

BelleinBows said...

Congrats, I love your blog! Much deserved!

Lisa G said...

Congratulations. You deserve the recognition, and have my vote!

Peter said...

Good on ya mate! A well deserved tribute and isn't it great that your kids see you as a shinning star!

Take Care,
Peter

Lockup Doc said...

You've earned it. You're an awesome writer. Congratulations!

Cal said...

I am really happy to have just read this entry. Your blog was a really nice addition to the medical world of blogs this past year. Your writing is no doubt very nice, your subject interesting, but most important you have certainly let your personality shine through your posts, which I believe is the main reason you are gathering such a follow. Well done, and I will certainly be here reading your work, in any format you choose to pursue in the future. Double celebrations are called for today (the nomination and your daughter's birthday).

thecatsmeow said...

Nice job, Doc! I, for one, think your writing is terrific, and I wouldn't be surprised if you won. It would be nice to see the new guy on the block (so to speak) get an award and thus be nudged into continuing to offer readers quality stuff...

Dr. A said...

Congrats!

Marie said...

Congratulations, your blog is beautifully written. It is awesome that you are pursuing your writing dream, especially with such a demanding job.

Thanks so much for stopping by at my blog and thanks for the kind words. :) I am so glad I discovered yours.

t. said...

You seriously had concerns whether people would take to your words?! It's been stated many times before because it's true: you have an amazing gift with your wordsmithing. You're real. You're human. You're honest. That resonates deep, as a devoted reader.

I join my fellow readers in giving you a well deserved (virtual) standing ovation!

Best regards and warmest congrats,
todd

Bongi said...

well done!! you deserve it. unfortunately for me you make for some stiff competition.

911RN said...

Congrats, doc! I voted. Enjoy the stories...look forward to them every week! Consider myself "well read" and yes, you are a writer! And just "my type" with a sense of humor with ER personality. Special breed of folks...keep the stories coming. Relate to all of them. Look forward to your book once published. Seems you will have multiple buyers from your current followers from the blog. Kudos, much deserved recognition!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it to the finals! You're a fine writer -- I enjoy reading each post and always look forward to them. I'll be looking forward to them AFTER you win, too ...
-Wren

Rositta said...

Congratulations, you deserve to win. We have an ER doctor here in Toronto who wrote a novel, won the prestigious Giller Award and now his novel will become a tv series. He still works in the ER of our local hospital and I've had occasion to meet him.
I see all of that in your future, except maybe the Giller, it's Canadian. I enjoy reading your stories but keep working on your novel...ciao
http://www.vincentlam.ca/

Unknown said...

Congrats. You've got my vote.

Anonymous said...

Here's a "boo-yaaa" for you Story Doc! Congrats, and my vote as well!

Smalltown RN said...

Well Doc you deserve it...good for you....keep up the great work...cheers!

StorytellERdoc said...

Hello Everyone!
Wow! I think your comments and words are too generous but, truth be told, I'm smiling here. I thank each of you for your support and your kindness

I'm in the middle of four crazy ER shifts and am looking forward to having next week off! Yeah!
Jim

SeaSpray said...

It's been both a pleasure and a delight reading your work. :)

Oh and umm.. it's okay ..you can list and thank each of us personally. ;)

Glad you're having fun wiht it. Blogging can be addicting. You find yourself seeing post ideas everywhere. :)

Have a great day!